One of the most frequent reasons cited for someone not attending church is because the services are boring. So the question is, what are we doing to make our services memorable and impactful? Or, do we believe people, especially those who aren't in a relationship with Jesus, should just be expected to show up and put up with something they perceive as boring?
10 Easy Ways to Make Your Church Services More Boring
- Don’t worry about when you finish. I’m sure no one has plans after the service.
- Straight Scriptures. No stories. Jesus didn’t teach that way, but you’re a better communicator than Jesus, right?
- Television? Movies? It’s just a phase. People don’t really need visual stimulation. They prefer talking heads.
- Use the same service order…every week…no exceptions…ever. (ouch!)
- Make more announcements.
- Encourage your elementary school kids to sit through your services. They love lively 45-minute sermons. It’s good for them. It builds character.
- Talk more about the past and the less about the future.
- Play the same Chris Tomlin song every week. And, try the chorus one more time. (ouch again!)
- Use lots of big words that no one uses in normal, everyday life.
- Forget relevant topics and life application. People are really only interested in hearing what you think, not why it matters to them.