Monday, July 07, 2008

I'm No Music Scholar...

I'M NO MUSIC SCHOLAR...
I came across this letter last week and thought I'd share. It read:

"I am no music scholar, but I feel I know appropriate church music when I hear it. Last Sunday's new hymn - if you can call it that - sounded like a sentimental love ballad one would expect to hear crooned in a saloon. If you insist on exposing us to rubbish like this - in God's house! - don't be surprised if many of the faithful look for a new place to worship. The hymns we grew up with are all we need."

I thought it would be fun to share this letter written to a pastor in 1863. The song they were writing about is the hymn "Just As I Am." It just turns out that the more things change, the more they stay the same. As Solomon said, there's nothing new under the sun.

Read the Dan Kimball's whole post here.