Saturday, April 07, 2007

Most Non-Christians Believe In The Resurrection

I'm sure you're reading this title and thinking, "Did I read that right?" I heard about this report on K-LOVE radio this week. (I listen as I get ready in the mornings.)

A Southern Baptist organization conducted a survey finding that 75% of people (who are NOT born-again Christians) actually believe that Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead on the third day. Most Easter messages I've heard in recent years have focused on PROVING Jesus' resurrection. I've always thought that was weird. Not only were they boring, the arguments really aren't convincing to a non-believer.

I did a little more research and found the source article for K-LOVE's news report here. If you read it carefully, I think they make the best observation near the end of the article.

We need to get past trying to PROVE Jesus. We can't change people or their opinions, but God can. And He does! We need to focus more on the meaning of Easter and redemptive power of Christ. "If Jesus did rise from the dead, what does that mean?"
Let us always remember that information does not transform lives, Jesus does. It takes relationship, an encounter with the living God to prove that He exists, that He loves us, and that He offers the gift of salvation to every person.