Sunday, January 27, 2013

Will There Be A Victory In 2013?

This is the third and final installment of the experiences and struggles of our last four months of 2012. Read the first here and the second here.

I need a reason to sing, I need a reason to sing
I need to know that You’re still holding
The whole world in Your hands
That is a reason to sing
A Reason to Sing, by All Sons & Daughters

I hope I haven't left you hanging for too long. As I wrap up some of our challenges, I realize I can't really put into words all that we have gone and are still going through. Let me pick up from my last update.

CATCHING A BREAK
After interviewing for several Marketing & Communications Graphics Positions, I was able to start a new full-time job in mid-October. I am now still employed at Lunarpages, an internet hosting and services company based out of Anaheim, California. As a Web Designer & Integrator there, I am creating custom CMS websites for companies and individuals from literally all over the world. While the pay could be better, this full-time position is certainly a step up from my work at Staples and I am gaining valuable experience. Our full insurance offering starts February 1. While I am saddened we have had to wait this long for Kellin, I am still grateful that we may be able to follow up on his medical care soon.

HOME FOR SALE IN MONTANA
We've had some activity with people looking at our home for sale in Montana. At one point in November, we had a buyer lined up and a contract signed. Unfortunately the buyer backed out, afraid of such a commitment in this economy. We had already started looking at houses here in Southern California and were getting used to idea of having our own place (and the kids sleeping in real beds). It was, and continues to be a huge disappointment. It seems our life is largely on hold until our home sells.

ANDREA'S WORK PROSPECTS
Andrea has been looking for positions as well. With her experience as a shift manager at Great Harvest Bread Company in Helena, she was excited to transfer into a position possibly at Panera Bread or the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. She also applied to Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and more. So far she has not secured a position but we are still hopeful for the extra income.

MINISTRY
One of the most difficult transitions for us moving to California is the lack of ministry opportunities. There are certainly many churches here, but no real paid minatory opportunities so far. Additionally, it has been difficult for us to connect with a new church family as we still feel unsettled as if God has no home for us.

Days still come where we question our decisions, we question what God wants for us, we even wonder if moving here to California was a mistake. Certainly I am back into the same routine I was in before, nearly 10 years ago. But what other choice did we really have?

I dare not compare our experiences over the last year to those of Job, certainly things could be much worse. Perhaps Joseph's trials are a better comparison. Even though it often feels like it these days, I know in my heart the He is not done with us yet. I am still trusting that He moves mightily in our lives soon. We are simply praying that God is using us to His glory, even though it doesn't feel like it right now. Would you commit to pray with us?


It is for all these reasons and more that I find my self singing this song more and more...
I need a reason to sing.


No comments: