Saturday, September 08, 2007

I Believe In Vision

You may have heard me say that I believe strongly in having a vision - God's vision. While I may not talk a lot about "vision" at Hannaford, I definitely try to cast vision with every thing I say and do. I came across these great truths about vision from Tony Morgan.
  • Vision is what distinguishes one organization from the next. Both may be great organizations. They just have unique visions.
  • If you grow, eventually, someone will try to shift the vision in a different direction. That's a guarantee.
  • People need to be reminded frequently of what the vision is and where you're going next.
  • Sometimes you have to confront people and their agenda when it's not in line with the vision. Doesn't necessarily mean their agenda is wrong. Just means it's not your vision.
  • Sometimes you have to ask a leader to step down if they can't fully support the vision. Doesn't mean they're not a good leader. Just means they're not your leader.
  • The vision needs to be big enough to capture the hearts of leaders.
  • The vision rarely changes, but the immediate objectives for accomplishing the vision must constantly be defined.
  • Vision unifies.
So here's my point. If vision is so important (and I believe it is), what is our vision at Hananford?

Let me know your answers and responses in the comments.