Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Searching For God Knows What

I just finished Donald Miller's Searching For God Knows What. Miller does an amazing job explaining something that I've felt is missing in today's teaching of the Gospel - the relational aspect of Jesus.

I agree with Miller that the core of salvation and being a follower of Jesus lies not within the rules, formulas, charts, graphs, 3-step plans, and behavior - but the core of what people need is the person of Jesus. While the others can be helpful, if we leave out the relationship, we've missed the point.

Miller has a great way of discussing these truths in a very down to earth way. And while I was not entertained as much as in Blue Like Jazz, I was deeply challenged and moved in my thinking. Despite Miller's liberal political discussions and occasional dry sections, Searching For God Knows What exposes the true travesty of a common "modern" approach to Christianity - missing out on a relationship with the PERSON of our faith, Jesus Christ.