Saturday, June 16, 2007

Father’s Day: Fatherly Impressions

With Father’s Day this week, my thoughts keep returning to how fathers can affect our relationship with God. Our experiences with our earthly father are a lens for how we see our Heavenly Father.
  • If your father was stoic, you see God as stoic.
  • If your father never showed affection, you think God has no affection.
  • If your Dad was absent or busy, that’s how we see God.
My dad was very controlling – I spent much of my childhood battling for control of things. Consequently, it is a struggle for me now to surrender and let God be in control.

But, let me tell you that God is not like your earthly father. And even if your dad was great, God is better. Scripture tells us that He loves us, He has compassion, and that He delights in us.

Zephaniah 3:17 tells us "The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."
He rejoices over us with singing!

Whatever your view of your earthly father, don’t let it limit your relationship with your heavenly Father. Ask God to reveal to you who He really is.