Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Blue Like Jazz

There's a couple of books I've read lately that I really liked. This post, I'd like to tell you about Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz. It's not quite as heavy as the usual stuff I read, but has some great insight into how the rest of the world sees Christianity.

I'm going to warn you; this is a product of the postmodern age. But I think it's very important to understand that we live in a postmodern world with postmodern people. Postmodernism is a thought pattern more than it is an age label. Everything we are exposed to is influenced by postmodern thought; television, movies, magazines, etc.

The importance of Miller's book, it that it gives you an insight to what people think outside of the alienated church subculture. Basically, Miller presents some autobiographical material regarding his journey toward God. He spends a good amount of time working through the struggle of wanting to know God, but not wanting to be involved in "religion."

Like most of us postmodern natives, Miller rejected "religion" but still sought a spiritual connection. What is beautiful about his personable writing is that he still finds his way to the true God, but without all the "baggage" (that I am getting very tired of). I really enjoyed his conversational writing style because it was wrought with realism and authenticity. I would suggest Blue Like Jazz to anyone in the established church who is wondering what the rest of the world is thinking.

Next time, I would like to tell you about another book I read recently by one of my favorite authors: Len Sweet's Out of the Question, Into the Mystery.