Monday, May 14, 2007

Hearing From God

I mentioned before that the Hannaford Praise Team and I are going through Buddy Owen's The Way of a Worshiper. This week we discussed “Hearing From God.” Owens points out that some people believe that God no longer speaks. He says...

“How sad it must be to worship a God who doesn’t speak ... To believe that God no longer speaks is a frightening proposition. Throughout scripture when God is present, He is speaking. If God no longer speaks, is He no longer present? ... If God no longer speaks, then what makes us think He is listening?"

Thankfully, God does still speak.

Owens continues, “He speaks through the scriptures, through the wise counsel of others ... In Christ, through providence bestowed or withheld, through circumstances, opportunities and closed doors, and through the still, small voice of His Spirit...”

Here's a question. I understand and believe that we can't spend every waking moment trying to discern our every step. "Do I cross the street? Do I eat this sandwich?" And yet, at what point do I say "I don't need to hear from God anymore?" Andrea says, and I agree, that it's really not about determining whether every little thing is God's will or not, it's about making ourselves available to hear His voice and follow Him whenever He speaks.

While preparing our discussion for this last Sunday, I came across a post from Mark Batterson entitled, “Ten Ways I Hear From God.” Here's a few wonderful insights. Check out the original here for the whole list.
  • I hear God better after I've confessed my sin. Somehow confession gets rid of the static. Besides, when I'm living with unconfessed sin I don't always want to hear God's voice.
  • I hear God better when I'm worshiping Him. Worship is one way I tune into God's frequency.
  • I hear God better after I've read my Bible.
  • I hear God better when I'm not in a hurry. Blaise Pascal said, "All of man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone."
  • I hear God better when I'm fasting. I hear God more clearly when I do a TV Fast--sometimes we have to tune some voices out so we can hear the voice of God.
  • I hear God better when I'm out of my routine. Change of place + change of pace = change of perspective. God seems to show up in burning bushes in the middle of nowhere!
  • I hear God better when I'm going after a dream. God doesn't speak to me when I'm not stepping out in faith.