Saturday, May 19, 2007

And Speaking of Bananas?

...and maybe even nuts. I may be stepping on a few toes here, but I think that Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron of The Way of The Master have finally gone bananas! Perhaps you heard, or perhaps you saw, but these guys have gone head-to-head with athiests on ABC's Nightline.

Now, a debate is one thing but here is the nutty part...Ray Comfort "claims he can prove the existence of God, scientifically, without mentioning faith or the Bible."

I'm sorry, but this is just wrong on so many levels. One (as CMS points out), Ray thinks he is going to address and answer "the single question humanity has wrestled with since the dawn of time - does God exist?" Two, if we really could scientifically PROVE the existence of God, there would be no need for faith. Jesus said, "...blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed" (John 20:29).

I mentioned CMS, and that's where I came across this sad, sad story. I encourage you to read their post here. (And on a side note and a slightly different subject, check out the Banana Argument they link to - more sadness.) I just think the approach of Ray Comfort and The Way of The Master is an approach that leaves out relationship. And without relationship, we really don't have others or Jesus...we don't have anything, really.