Saturday, February 24, 2007

Will You Be Missed?

In his blog, marketing guru Seth Godin asks the question, "Will You Be Missed?" Here's what he writes:

"Tower Records is gone. I used to go there almost every day when I lived in Greenwich Village. I haven't been in more than five years--pretty much since I started buying just about everything at Amazon. Obviously, I won't miss it.

I haven't been inside a bank in nearly as long. Why would I? The ATM is closer, faster and easier.

I haven't read the classified ads in the paper in five years either.

None of these three activities were ever particularly emotionally heartwarming. And now that they're gone, I don't miss them.

So, here's the question: When you're gone, will they miss what you do? It's not too late to change the answer..."


I can't help apply most of what he writes directly to the church.

First, what does the church do right now that is obsolete. As times change, are we still finding ways to connect to people and culture?

Second, if your church was gone tomorrow, would anyone miss it? Who? Your congregation? Your community? Your neighborhood?

If we are called to make an impact on this world by being salt and light, it is a sad thought to think that most people wouldn't even notice if we were gone.